Re: Suggestions on a tow vehicle ?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suggestions on a tow vehicle ?
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:48:16 -0500
At 01:06 AM 12/4/02 -0500, Sup4speed@aol.com wrote:
>During this off season I may be forced to look into a new tow vehicle.  Not
>too sold on any particular vehicle out there so thought I'd ask the list,
>since there must be hundreds of members towing rigs all over the interstates,
>mountains with gobs more experience than I have.
>
>I tow my DSP Supra on a open trailer, total weight about 5k lbs, the trailer
>has electric brakes on one axle, none on 2nd axle.  Presently have a '97
>Tahoe with 5.7L V-8 with 72k miles.  Has always been a bit weak going over
>the Rockies to Topeka, I80 up to Reno, up Grapevine to Los Angeles, etc.
>
>I'd rather limit myself to a gas motor, knowing that a diesel is better for
>towing.  I want to use it for family outings also.  My thoughts included the
>new Tundra with bigger V8 (hope it tows better than the 4.7L), 3/4 ton
>Suburban (is the 6.0 big enough?), Chev 1500 HD, Ford F250, maybe new Dodge
>Ram (don't know much about new hemi, but I like the commercials).
>
>If any of you have upgrade from the Chev Vortec 350 to something bigger or
>better, I'd like to hear about it.  Chev makes that big 8.1 liter motor, must
>pull well but sucks gas big time ?

I pull about 6-7k pounds usually.  NO comparision between the old truck
('97 1500 GMC 4x4, Vortec 350, Ext. cab, 3.73's, tow package) and the new
truck ('02 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4, 6.0L, Ext. cab, 4.10's).....  The new truck
is a little slower from a stop, towing or otherwise (3.06 1st gear vs. the
2.48 or so in the new truck).  But, it's not slow.  Mileage has suffered
little usually about 1 mpg less on easy cruising, but acutally better
anytime you find hills (doesn't downshift).  Comparing my much heavier
truck to a couple of friends with 5.3 trucks that have either 4.10's or
3.73's, I will kill them up any long grade without effort.  Where their
trucks drop to 3rd, mine will stay in 4th with the converter locked.  Other
thing, REAL brakes compared to 1/2 ton trucks.  I think that is important
since you only have single axle brakes.  Other perks:  Much more durable
transmission with the 4L80, vs. the 4L60 in the smaller trucks.  Heavier
truck gets pulled around a less by the trailer.

I've not regreted not getting an 8.1 or a Duramax really.  I'm acutally
very happy I don't have a 8.1 because the 6.0 is terrific IMHO (except for
the piston slap noise, doesn't seem to hurt anything though).  Maybe the
6.0 would be not as good with 3.73's, obviously.  Unloaded I get between 12
in town to about 14-15 running 75 on the road.  Towing routinely is 11-12 @
the same type of speeds.  I don't even run a weight distributing hitch with
this truck.  I do run a sway control.  The bed is rated for about 2700
pounds payload, Trailer with a car is no big deal (an open trailer
anyway).  No muss, no fuss.

Mind you, mine is a 2500 HD, not a standard 2500 (essentially mine is a
single wheel 1-ton, vs being a true 2500 series truck).  I haven't pulled
with a straight 2500, but I'm sure it's still better than a 1500 for
pulling.  Also, I happen to have a GM truck, but I'm sure the same things
apply to Ford and Dodge as well.  IMHO, a Tundra is a bit small for pulling
seriously.  Great motor, but not a particularly torquey piece.  The bed and
truck in general is a bit smaller all the way around.

A few mods help.  Better flowing intake, really need side steps... I have a
Pace-Edwards bed cover.  BTW, a 6.0 has the BIG 8.1 exhaust, so I doubt
there is anything hiding there.  :-)   I've messed wtih different parts (we
sell a lot of truck stuff too) to see what works and what doesn't.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
800-729-1831 orders/price info.