RE: Where's the disc - The Solution...

To: "Mark Hirt" <Mark.Hirt@attbi.com>
Subject: RE: Where's the disc - The Solution...
From: "Dave & Marianne Lyons" <super7@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:57:11 -0500
Some random thoughts.

I'm from New England.

While I think the "you must have a copy of the rulebook" requirement is
bogus, many Road Racing regions have figured out a way to make sure that
drivers had some understanding when they started racing, but this does not
happen in SOLO.  Maybe it should only be a requirement if you run in the
Novice class?  And yes, the rules change in Road Racing just as fast as they
do in SOLO.  Caveat Emptor.  The penalty in Road Racing is pretty severe in
terms of $$$, however.

Either require EVERYONE to have a current rule book, or require EVERYONE to
have A rule book, or drop the requirement EVERYWHERE.  Or, make it a
requirement at Schools of all type, Rally, SOLO and Road Racing. (Yes, my
region does run rally schools, e.g. a novice series.)

AS far as I know, in Rally (as run locally), you are not required to have a
current copy of the rules, but you are required to KNOW the current rules.
A good rallyist will have a copy.

Requiring drivers (in any type of event) to have a copy of the rule book is
kind of silly, because many argue that Road Racing drivers, for example,
cannot read.  :-P  (Emoticon sticking tongue out at Road Racing drivers)
This has been proven time after time when the supplemental rules for an
event clearly state that the driver must/must not do "X", and the drivers
simply say "Huh?".

BTW, most of the Road Racing drivers I know DO buy rule books every year,
and follow what gets published in Fast Track religiously.   Knowing the
latest changes can have a big impact on getting protested.

I agree that where a person races should not affect the requirement to have
a rule book.  That should be a club wide policy.  Period.  Same rule for
everybody.  "If you enter a National Race, SOLO event, or RALLY, you must
have a current copy of the rules with you."  Or, nothing (my personal vote.)

Dave