Was: Where's the disc - now Growing Solo

To: <dave2020@mindspring.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was: Where's the disc - now Growing Solo
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:13:44 -0800
> If they have their eyes on growing solo though, I think a huge first step
would be to make the rules accessable to the public.  Asking a newbie to pay
for the rules of the game only enforces the "Secret Car Club of America"
stigma.  It sounds silly now, looking back, but at the time that I started
in this sport the lack of clear rules was quite intimidating.  After my
first event I saw that it was no big deal, but actually getting to that
first event was a huge step into the unknown.

> Dave Hardy
> 89 SM

Oh please, no more soloists!  We in CalClub are actually reaching a
saturation problem.  At our first event in January, we had around 270
entrants. Very high for the beginning of the season and with limited
sunlight.  During the summer, we've had up to 330 entrants - really
stretches the resources. We normally allow up to 10 "time-only" entrants per
run group, but had to tell the afternoon groups no and refund their money.
Plus we normally have practice events on Saturday with an 80 entrant limit
and there is a big controversy over who should get in and how to make the
access fair.  Turns out there are a number of people who run the practices
only which is upsetting others that feel the practices should be there to
practice for the Championship Series. We allow non-SCCA entrants in our
events and even now charging them $35 at Championships compared to the $20
for members hasn't turned many away.  There seems to be a big market for the
practice format where you get lots more runs (usually 12 for $40) and
passengers are allowed.  I gather some of the other big regions are having
this problem, also.  We have resisted requiring SCCA membership, which I
believe SFR does, we just hate turning people away.  Hopefully some of this
will be discussed at the convention among the solo leaders..

Rick Brown
FP 240Z