Re: Solo on TV, Again ( was re: GRM/best )

To: "JonesMB" <jonesmb@arthem.com>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo on TV, Again ( was re: GRM/best )
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:56:49 -0600
>Maybe it is easier to sell a show if it is dangerous.

True, but ACTION is what people want to see.

>Why else would they
>show a lot of crashing and carnage when they show the highlights of a race
>on TV?

Because in most motorsports, that's when you get to see action.  In
road-racing and Nascar and Indycars with today's tires, you seldom see the
cars MOVE.  I mean wiggle and slide around.  Only when something goes wrong
do you see any action.

So work with this.  You don't need a crash to see action.  Cone hits and
spinouts make good video.  Autocross and ProSolo can supply these, without
crunching cars.

The point is, this can't be done live, and it can't be done on the cheap.
Lots of cameras, lots of camera angles, and lots of editing.

Football is the most boring sport on the face of the earth, but with
editing, it looks damned exciting for five minutes on the 10:00 news.

Off-road racing has an advantage on TV because even when things are going
right, the trucks bounce, slide around and fly.  Maybe SCCA's best shot is
RallyCross.  The action of Pro Rally, confined in an easy-to-film area.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org