Re: Need help classing Lotus

To: "Colbert, Raymond J." <Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com>,
Subject: Re: Need help classing Lotus
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:14:33 -0500
Colbert, Raymond J. wrote:

<snip all the reasons for having a streetable replicar>

> If I had not built this car I might of imported an Elise as I
think they are
> cut of the same cloth and even sexier to look at.

So, your primary motivation for ownership is _not_ autocross. Yet
Solo II nonetheless has a class where you can compete and have
fun. Isn't SCCA an accommodating organization? You say the glass
is half empty, I say it's half full. Which of us is right?

> A, B, and C mod are a classes for vehicles that do not belong
on the street.

I suggest you read the rules a bit more carefully. Modified
Category is for cars that have been modified beyond what is
allowed in any other Category. If you have such a car, then it
runs in Modified. Whether or not it's streetable is not an issue
in the Mod prep allowances.

> They have no lights, top, bumpers, windshield wipers, carpet,
seats (driver
> only), little instrumentation, and commonly only run for short
times (A mod
> 60 secs) before overheat or other problems force a shutdown.

The Modified rules require none of the above characteristics.
It's altogether permissible for a car with lights, top, bumpers,
instruments, etc., to run in A Mod. And it's perfectly OK to have
a cooling system that won't overheat in two or threee minutes.

> An open car in SP or stock is required to
> have a roll bar that meets the Solo rules.

Wrong. Read the rules.

>  An open car in mod is required
> to have a roll cage

Wrong. Read the rules.

> that meets the GCR and all the other GCR requirements.

Wrong. Read the rules.

> The value of a car like an Elise would drop from say $60K to
about $30K
> they moment the cage was installed and it no longer is fun to
drive
> (ingress/egress on the street).  This sucks!!

Obviously you didn't set out to build or acquire a competitive
Solo II car. If you had, you would have read the rules first,
then identified a car that could be competitive. Given that you
own a car that you want to autcross occasionally, what's your
problem? You can run it. Your Region is free to set up a class
for cars like yours.

> Go read the GCR on Solo1 and
> the car classification section

Go read the rules for Solo II, since that's what we're discussing
here.

Jay