Re: "new" scca logo

To: <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Subject: Re: "new" scca logo
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 03:10:16 -0500
Jeff,

How many entries last year compared to 5 or 10 years ago in these marques
(and the others I mentioned earlier)? There is one pretty yellow Corvette
that comes immediately to mind that is no longer being driven in SS at
National events.

My statement was "all but a few". There certainly are currently drivers in
the SCCA in true "sports cars", but not in the numbers there would be were
the classing structure for them a little more favorable. The frame of mind
that these cars have a venue in their marque clubs -and that is just where
they belong - is very real in the SCCA, and many owners have done just that.
The "wire wheel" logic from which the very roots of the SCCA was formed have
been abandoned in favor of karts and grocery getters. Sorry, but compare the
cars on course in 2000 to those in 1990, and that fact will become very
clear.

All of the defensive SCCA responses I have received seem to think I am
advocating favorable classing for a "sports car", with unfavorable
positioning for the grocery getter and karts. That was not the intent. I
think a classic sports car, includiong those that truly had wire wheels,
should have a place, however (one that that doesn't put them against a
modern suspended car) in a TRUE sports car club.

Obviously, the responses suggest that I am in the minority in this belief.
So I will return to the lurk mode and quietly wonder why it is called the
SPORTS CAR Club of America, with it's magazine called "SPORTSCAR"? With it's
current mentality, perhaps the club should consider changing it's name?