Re: "new" scca logo

To: "David Shreve" <ls1_1le@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: "new" scca logo
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 01:53:41 -0500
So you are suggesting that an owner of an '88 Vette, for example, must
modify his car to Prepared or Mod condition just to be competitive in the
SCCA? Or how about the owner of a Porsche 911,914, 924, 944?

Are you agreeing with me - these cars CAN play in Stock, but to be
competitive they must throw big $ at their car to bring it to Prepared or
Mod class level of preparedness?

The SCCA has run all but a few Corvettes (C5 and Z06 specifically) and just
about all of the Porsches off from Stock and SP - classic "sports cars,
IMO - with their structuring. The SCCA seems to be using the logic that
there are other clubs specifically for these cars, clubs that they can be
competitive in. These marque clubs are fairly large all across the US, yet
there are relatively  few of them competing with the SCCA - - at the
Divisional and National levels in particular.

Yet the SCCA claims to be looking to increase their membership. They would
rather establish new classing for go karts or for slammed Honda's, for
example, than  for early Corvettes or Porsches. And there are others, such
as the 1st or 2nd generation RX-7, 1st generation MR2, and yes, the Fiero.
None of these currently have any chance of ever winning a National
Championship in the Stock or Street Prepared classifications in the SCCA.
These are what I would call "Sports Cars",
the type of car your club was named after.

For a little while longer, the RX7 TT, Miata's, and the 2nd gen MR2 still
have favor, but it won't be too long before they are "outclassed" by some
new car that
gains favor with the powers-to-be in the SCCA. These newcomers probably will
seat 6, and be a top of the line grocery getter, just like most of the Stock
class favorites are right now. You know, "sports cars", just like Mr
Davison's definition!! (Oh, and odds are, they will not have wire wheels, as
your club's logo suggests).

And the beat goes on.