'89 Nationals

To: "A-Team.Net (Group)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: '89 Nationals
From: "Roger Johnson" <rjohnson@friendlynet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:55:45 -0500
Running in S/S, Mark Thornton waxed all of us, only
to be DQ for too much wheel offset.

I felt bad about inheriting an undeserved win, until
I found out a couple of years later what ELSE was wrong
with the car.  <g>

He still out-drove the rest of us, God grant peace to
his soul.

'89 was Havranek's last National, thus ending what had been
a protest-fest every year.  '89 was rather extraordinary with
Porsche A/S protests.  And it carried over to the 914's in
C/S, too.  (Six 914 drivers DQ'ed in total)

It was the year that Solo Manager Dick Bonheim refused the
entry of 100%'er Lindsay Lowe.  Altenberg got his first win after
a DQ in a borrowed car in '88, beating a huge F/S class by 1.5 seconds;
and 1989 is the last time somebody beat John Thomas.

I wish I could remember the Talent Show that year. . . . . . <ggg>

Jesus Villarreal won B/M,  Jodi won CML and Jean Kinser made
her National debut, finishing 3/4 in EML.  It was the first year
since 1978 that Bob & Charlotte King were NOT at the Nationals.

Mary Wentzel won BSPL in '89, starting a streak that went until
1996.

637 competitors ran the event in 50 classes, per Rocky.  He also
shows that Marlene Obenour won CPL by 8.5 seconds.  Rain tires
DO help. . . . . .

Now if only someone could help me with the Talent Show. . . . .

Roger 2