Re: Stock Class Question

To: Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Stock Class Question
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:00:27 -0700

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> Though it may not seem like it on this list, it is very possible to have a
> nationally competitive car that is street driven, a "daily driver", and has
> "stock" (ie. "out of the box") adjustable shocks on it.  My C-stock MR2 is
> my daily driver, has 130K miles on the engine, and looking at the results
> this year I'd have to say it's a competitive car.

But, you have to admit we have been a bit lucky. The classes could get
shuffled around and/or newer models come on to the scene making your
ride less than competitive. I have seen it happen enough to know that
"stock" is often not the cheapest place to play for someone that is
serious about winning. I am thankful that my car has not been displaced
for the last 4 years. But before the 1.8l Miatas were moved out, my car
was no longer competitive for a couple years.

These are my reasons for running stock:
1. No place to store a trailer. Right now I have to be able to drive to
an event.

2. No time to work on cars. I can't give the car the time it would
require unless it's stock. Almost anything done to my car is done by my
mechanic, not me.

3. Business write off. It's my business car. I would have a harder time
convincing the IRS that an A-Mod car is used to drive to business
meetings.

4. Less knowledge required. Though getting the most out of a stock car
is it's own field of expertise, I think the SP/P/M guys have to know a
lot more about cars. I just like to drive.

I know a lot of folks enjoy wrench turning and playing with car setup.
If I had my way, I would want the car to be ready to go from the dealer
and I would not have to touch it. That is the advantage of stock. Having
said that, I am fighting the urge to drive a mod car. I know it would be
a LOT more fun. :-)

CS MR-2...
$5000 for a nice 91-92 model.
$200 swaybar
$420 struts
$200 set of rims
$60 alignment
$50 exhaust mod
$500-700 tires

Under $7k and you have enough to trophy at Nationals.

Randy Chase