Re: Nationals Entry Cap

To: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals Entry Cap
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:25:26 -0500
Now as I understand it, the cap only because necessary because projections
of the total entry based on entries to date, compared to past years, shows a
total entry soaring into the 1400 range! Yow! And they realized that while
they could handle 1000, even 1200, 1400 would tax the event beyond
imagination.

Or more precisely, it would tax the event beyond what they had prepared to
have for 2000.

With the experience 2000 brings, possibly they may present a different setup
for 2001. Six-day nationals perhaps?

Nationals has always been a "y'all come" event and all the better for that.
The response to "1000 in 2000" is surprisingly strong. A 25% increase would
be amazing but they could handle that, and expected to be able to do so but
not really believing they'd have THAT many. A 50% increase is totally
outside the realm of expectations. Hence the cap. I believe it's a one-time
deal, folks.

(and my guess is they won't reach it. But they might pass 1100. But don't
plan on that if you really want to go ... get your entry in yesterday.)

--Rocky