Re: Clarification needed - "coilovers" in street prepared.

To: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clarification needed - "coilovers" in street prepared.
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:34:56 -0500
Steven N. Burkett wrote:

> I'm confused on the wording of 14.8.A - says that coilovers
can't be used
> where not originally equipped.

So far, so good. If your car came with leaf springs, or with coil
springs that aren't concentric with the shocks, you can't change
it to coilovers.

>  But the term "coilover" seems to be
> ill-defined in general.

Yep. The aftermarket guys are muddying the waters.

> My impression based on the "adjustable spring perches on struts
are okay"

"Spring perches originally attached to shock absorbers or strut
bodies may be changed or altered, and their position may be made
adjustable." That excerpt from the suspension section of the SP
rules is from memory, so please pardon any imprecision in the
wording. The meaning of the allowance is abundantly clear. Yes,
you can make spring perches on struts adjustable.

> is that if I can basically replace the strut/spring assembly
with any
> adjustable spring over strut setup.

With one caveat: the attachment of the strut to the upright has
to remain as stock, i.e., you can't cause changes in suspension
geometry other than those that result from an alteration in the
range of travel.

> So I'm confused.  Hope I haven't confused everyone else.  Can I
put
> "coilovers" on my RX-7 or not?

Yes, within the above restrictions.

Jay