Re: Was nutty ESP - now Classing cars vs. people

To: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Subject: Re: Was nutty ESP - now Classing cars vs. people
From: Todd Green <tag@war.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:52:23 -0600
>Perhaps it's the FS class that is lame? Or maybe, just maybe, ESP wasn't
>broke so we didn't need the M3 to fix it.

More likely the PAX is not a truly accurate way of comparing disparate
classes.  The only way to know who is the better driver is to put two
people in the same car on the same course.  As DG says, then you only
know who drove that car better, on that course, on that day.

>BTW, that 4th place M3 driver wasn't Todd Green. It was an even more unknown
>driver. But perhaps there are just lots of unknown M3 drivers who happen to
>be getting real good, real fast this year.

Actually Navid (the 4th place finisher) is pretty well known in BMW
circles, and his car is a well prepared BMW club racer.  (Not ideal for
autox, but better than many ESP M3's.)

Now let's look at who is unknown.  Go into Altavista and search on the
following (in order of how they finished at that event):

"Navid Kahangi" and scca   77 hits
"Heny Botkin" and scca      2 hits
"Jason Swindle" and scca    6 hits
"Eric Van Pelt" and scca    0 hits

Hmm, seems that Navid is a better known in the SCCA than the competitors
whom he beat.  Geez, Navid turns up more hits that Hollywood Bob ;) ;)
;)

Todd