Re: DQ question

To: "Scotty *BOB* White" <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DQ question
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:22:42 -0500
Scotty wrote:

<snip>

>first car weighs 3194lb on a 3200lb minimum *without* driver,
>same car weighed again at 3197lb
>same car weighed again at 3196lb then again at 3195lb

Interesting. I've got a friend who's an IT enduro racer. At a
race earlier this year, his car, which had finished second,
weighed in eight lbs. under the minimum, with the race-finishing
driver in place. As it turns out, the driver cooling system had
lost three or four gallons of water because the top wasn't
secured correctly, and the loss was enough to put them under the
minimum.  The car was over the minimum weight with the owner in
it, but he had driven the first leg. The other competitors were
adamant that the car had to be over minimum with the driver who
was actually in the car at the end of the race. The officials
weren't too enthusiastic about DSQ'ing them, but they had no real
choice. "Minimums is minimums." Hank's response was "they all
knew we'd beaten their butts anyway." I bet he gets the top nice
and tight on the driver cooling system next time.   ;<)

<snip more>

>Should I be pissed? (i am the first car to finish)

What good will it do?

>Could they have imposed a lesser penalty? Did the 3 pounds make
up the 1/2
>lap in 30?

No, but "minimums is minimums." If you're gonna play close to the
tracks, the train might run over you every now and then. Bet you
won't be underweight next time.   ;<)

Jay "it sucks sometimes, but them's the rules" Mitchell