Re: Tire History Lesson - Again

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire History Lesson - Again
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 11:03:18 -0400
Craig Blome wrote:

> --- scott_phelps@england.gdt1.com wrote:
> > Author:  Chris Sims <csims@simshome.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Does anybody make performance retreads now?  It
> > seems like a good
> > >idea. . .
> >
> >      Not allowed in SCCA.........   Look at all the
> > truck tires on the
> >      highway, and you'll understand why.  I wouldn't
> > put recaps on any car.
> >

> I was driving behind an 18 wheeler outside Little Rock
> once when a retread delaminated.  Big brown cloud and
> KABOOM, followed by tread snakes raining down from the
> heavens.  *Very* scary experience.  I understand why
> SCCA doesn't allow 'em.

Besides Pat Kelly personal testimony, I'll add the following data point:
There is a new racing series in England that uses spec recapped tires on
924Ss to prove their durability. No problems thus far.

Another data point: The only 'decent' treaded vintage race tire that is
still being made is the Dunlop. But they are so expensive many vintage
racers recap them. No problems thus far.

If the DOT allows them for use on semis then I think we can certainly
trust them at autocrossing speeds.

Paul Foster