Re: The tire thing^n

To: John Whitling <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: The tire thing^n
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:05:07 -0700
John Whitling wrote:

> Poorly enforced! Any other sanctioning body would have enforced the intent of
>the
> rule. SCCA officials had every right, according to the rules, to enforce the
> rules.

<disclaimer, this is all IMHO, if you feel, believe, or know otherwise,
great. I'd love to hear it.>

        I don't think so. Now, I wasn't there at the time, but my understanding
was that although it was a different compound, the tires were the same
model (T/A R1). It would be up to the rest of the competitors to lodge a
protest. Was there one? Apparently not. We judge ourselves. We do not a
have full time paid staff of scrutineers in Solo2 as there are in big
professional road races.

> The tires were clearly different to everyone. It was an SCCA event and BFG
> made a concerted effort to circumvent the rules ... not to just a few
>"contract"
> drivers (as had been the case in the past, but that's another issue) but to
> everyone that had pre bought BFG tires for that event.

        Yup. It's tire wars, always will be. It's up to us, as members and a
club, to stay on top of them. Remember the hubbub about the G-Forces not
being legal last season? That was from the members.

> Another thing ... do you really think that BFG would have produced hundreds of
> thousands of dollars of tires for that event without some "quiet approval" by
>at
> least one SCCA official???? I wonder ....

        No, we're not their only customer. Yes, we're a big customer, but not
their only one. And the SEB probably doesn't go to a tire manufacturer
and say, "we want tires like such and like so" and expect a big
response. They make tires for a very large market, and regrettably autox
is not at the top of their list. Why they made the 226? They wanted a
bigger piece of the pie, and figured if they made the effort ot attract
new customers, that they'd succeed. Hmm, seems to have worked too.

But I really doubt the whole conspiracy thing here.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/