Re: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:06:21 -0400
An interesting car to use for comparison is the new BMW Z3 coupe vs. a Z3
convertible with a hardtop (I've seen pictures of one club racing - not sure
if it was SCCA or BMW CCA).  Would the roof collapse on either of these cars
in a rollover?  What about with a rollbar?  Would a bar like, say, an HMS
SportBar make either/both cars safer?  Not having owned or rolled either car
:) I have no hard data on this.  I would imagine that the Z3 convertible
with a hardtop would be rather prone to collapse, whereas the coupe would
not since the top is an integral part of that design.  A roll bar would help
both cars, and would probably make a roll in the convertible a lot more
survivable.  It could be a problem finding a roll bar that would be 2" above
the driver's head AND allow the hardtop to fit.

    - Justin
      Please don't roll my '83 BMW 320i :)
      Team SOL #4