RE: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars

To: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>,
Subject: RE: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:40:00 -0500
>>This isn't an official definition (I've never seen one), but IMO, a closed
car has a roof which is an intergal part of the structure.  Removeable
factory tops wouldn't qualify.>>

Midwest Council and VSCDA accept hardtop equipped sports cars as closed cars, I
don't have any first hand experience with other groups.  According to your
definition T-tops and targas would be open cars, and I know that is not the
case with most organizations.  T or targa top off = open car.  T or targa top
on = closed car.  Why should a factory hardtop be any different?

I have always wondered about the cars with glass tops.  They race under closed
car rules, but in a roll over will revert to open car status when the glass
shatters.  Hmmmmmm.

Yes, you could argue that my hardtop could be torn off in a rollover, I would
argue that it is securely attached with grade 8 fasteners.  No, I am not
willing to give it a go! LOL

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra, Mystic #1345/2000 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (mostly modified)
'59 Triumph Model 10 Sedan (mostly in boxes)