Re: Fw: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars

To: "Tom Gentry" <tgentry@execpc.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: SOLO 1 - Closed vs Open Cars
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:18:49 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
To: 'autox@autox.team.net' <autox@autox.team.net>; 'Joshua Hadler'
<jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:00 AM

>>>SIIR 12.6 (Automotive definitions: page 86, '99 rule book)
>
>A. An open car is a convertible (with or without a full windshield), a
>targa-top-type car with less than a full windshield, or a T-top-type car
>with less than a full windshield.
>
>B. A closed car is one with a full roof, a targa-top-type car with a full
>windshield, or a T-top-type car with a full windshield.<<
>
>Thanks, Josh, for shedding some light on the subject.  Now on to
interpretation. :-)

>According to my interpretation, with the hardtop bolted in place my TR-6
fits "B" above.  Obviously, some agree, since I and others have been allowed
to compete that way (though I've never tried it in SCCA).

>I'm assuming from the conversation so far that there are some with other
opinions.  Now that we have the facts, is there anyone who cares to dispute
that my hardtopped TR-6 (or any other hardtopped roadster) does NOT fit
firmly into "B"?

>What is really lacking now is a clear definition of "convertible".  My
hardtopped TR-6 has a "full roof".  Is it still a "convertible"?  If so does
it fit into both (or either) group?  Any hardboiled tech inspectors out
there that want to take a stab at it?

Like you said, it's a matter of interpretation.  I interpret "full roof" as
"fixed roof," but that's easy to dispute.  Someone who's more interested in
pursuing this officially should request a clarification on "full roof,"
which could just as easily be applied to a soft top.  Of course, they could
always go back to the classic definitions:  fixed-head, drop-head and
roadster (hardtop, convertable, and no roof, for you young'ns).

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (FHC)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr