Re: Tire wear issues speed ratings

To: "Jeff Blankenship" <jblanken@itds.com>,
Subject: Re: Tire wear issues speed ratings
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:57:03 -0400
How about an exclusion list?  It may be simplistic, but sometimes
simple is a good thing :-)  Start with the exclusion of R-tires, then
add tires to the exclusion list that don't meet the "spirit" of the rules -
say, those supermegabuck Pirelli-lop-ahamas.  The most anyone
would be out if their brand is added to the list would be a set or
two of (shaved?) tires.

I imagine eventually we'd still be down to a spec tire or three for the
more serious competitors, but at least then someone just off the
street would have more in common with the class leaders.  Now its
a different prep league altogether - R tires vs regular street tires is
like a Stock car running against an SP car.

Eventually a manufacturer may come out with a dominating  R tire
that's good for ONE event - then what happens? I already spend
WAAY too much on tires.....

Just IMO,

Kent Rafferty