Re: McKamey: tire choice

To: richj50@bit-net.com
Subject: Re: McKamey: tire choice
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:58:43 -0400
At 09:24 AM 4/13/99 -0500, Brian M Kennedy wrote:
>richj50@bit-net.com wrote:
>>
>> I'm scheduled to take McKamey Phase I this summer and I'm wondering what
>> to do about tires.  I ordinarily race my ESP car on 265 45 16 Kumhos on
>> 10" rims, but I'm thinking about using a worn-out set of Good Year GS-C
>> 245 50 16s on stock 8" rims for the school.  Would this hurt my experience
>> significantly?  I'd rather not burn up $600 of rubber if I don't need to.

Well, like anything else it's a matter of degrees.  Want to learn all you
can?  Then you run the car the way you run the car.  Saving money, and
learning don't go together real well.  I mean if you soften your springs,
you'll get better tire wear, and save $$$, but it won't help you as much.

>One extra you get with the McKamey School is a lot of seat time where you
>get a national champion caliber driver to show you just how fast your car
>setup can be.  But, if you get enough seat time in your ESP car with your
>Kumhos, then using a different set would be okay.

Unless you are taking the school on a rough concrete lot, tire wear won't
be much of an issue anyway.  Besides, I know that you get quite long wear
from your tires Rich.  Sacrifice a little and learn all you can.

>OTOH, you don't want to start cording your tires halfway through the school
>and miss out on some instruction dealing with tires.  You said the tires
>are worn-out -- sounds risky to me.

You can always switch to streets if need be.

>Finally, you won't use up your Kumhos in one school.  I doubt seriously
>that you'll burn up more than $200 of rubber, let alone $600.  Think of
>it as doing some tire shaving.  ;^)
>Personally, I'd drive my best setup.  But for me, tire money comes a
>lot easier than seat time.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts