Re: McKamey: tire choice

To: richj50@bit-net.com
Subject: Re: McKamey: tire choice
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:24:00 -0500
richj50@bit-net.com wrote:

> I'm scheduled to take McKamey Phase I this summer and I'm wondering what
> to do about tires.  I ordinarily race my ESP car on 265 45 16 Kumhos on
> 10" rims, but I'm thinking about using a worn-out set of Good Year GS-C
> 245 50 16s on stock 8" rims for the school.  Would this hurt my experience
> significantly?  I'd rather not burn up $600 of rubber if I don't need to.

Most of what you learn in the McKamey Schools you could learn with any car
on any tires.  However, for best results, you don't want to be distracted
with the car behaving unexpectedly -- you'll learn most in a car/tire setup
that you are familiar with.

One extra you get with the McKamey School is a lot of seat time where you
get a national champion caliber driver to show you just how fast your car
setup can be.  But, if you get enough seat time in your ESP car with your
Kumhos, then using a different set would be okay.

OTOH, you don't want to start cording your tires halfway through the school
and miss out on some instruction dealing with tires.  You said the tires
are worn-out -- sounds risky to me.

Finally, you won't use up your Kumhos in one school.  I doubt seriously
that you'll burn up more than $200 of rubber, let alone $600.  Think of
it as doing some tire shaving.  ;^)

Personally, I'd drive my best setup.  But for me, tire money comes a
lot easier than seat time.

Not sure if that helped, but I hope so,

Brian