Re: McKamey: tire choice

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: McKamey: tire choice
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:12:46 -0700
Rich,

I did the school a few weeks ago, on a concrete surface (Mather Field
in Sacramento). Because of anticipated tire wear, I got
recommendations from some very good people to use my 275/40/17
Kumhos, or use 245/45/17 BFG Comp TA street tires. No one
recommended I use my slightly used 275/45/16 Hoosier A0S02's. For
reference I have an ESP class 98 Ford SVT Cobra convertible.

So what did I do? I had extra Hoosiers and I wanted to run on good
tires for the surface so I decided to run the Hoosiers anyway. What
happened? I didn't even run through them, not even rotating front to
backs midway through the day.

Did having ABS help? Perhaps. Or maybe it was because the people
making recommendations were national champions or close to that
caliber drive their tires much harder (and better) than my barely-out-
of-novice-status.

So, I guess it goes to show that "your mileage may vary."

To be on the safe side though, have a spare set of tires (perhaps your
street ones) and consider rotation midway through. More importantly,
have fun, because McKamey school is a blast.<underline>

<nofill>