Re: Spins & Blame (statistics)

To: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Subject: Re: Spins & Blame (statistics)
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 14:16:17 -0700
Loren Williams wrote:

> Wrong comparison, Jay.  If you're going to compare YOUR specific case to
> autocrossing, you should only include the autox miles that YOU drove in
> the same period.

Well, I was trying to put autoxing in the BEST light, not the worst.
Given that I have had an autox incident myself, and that I probably have
driven fewer than 3,000 total miles in autox competition, my personal
autox experience is, statistically speaking, pretty dismal.

>  The proper comparison to ALL the autox miles driven in
> your area would be accidents per mile driven in your community...
> significantly more than 450,000 miles/10 years, I'm sure. (and I expect
> the accidents per mile ratio would be far greater as well)

What I was looking for from Jeff, that he has so far refused to provide,
is an approximate accident/100k vehicle mile figure for the general
public. That statistic is available, and as a former actuary, he should
know where to find it. Raw time is NOT the correct metric. Using raw
time would imply that a small region that has a Solo II incident every
ten years is statistically as safe as a much larger region - i.e., one
with more autox entries and more vehicle miles/year - that also has an
incident every ten years. It should be apparent to anyone that that's
VERY faulty logic.

Jay "still doing it despite my personal statistics" Mitchell