Re: Spins & Blame

To: Jeff@winchell.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spins & Blame
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:40:57 EST
In a message dated 4/1/99 6:37:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, Jeff@Winchell.Com
writes:

<< How many times have you seen a car upside down at an autocross in
 those 13 years (and roughly how many cars haven't done that)? From
 what I've been able to gather, thousands of autocross entries have run
 in our area before one has rolled (so far I haven't heard of a
 documented case, so the number is probably more like tens of
 thousands of entrants without a roll over). I'd bet the accident odds
 aren't noticeably worse than what one sees on the highway or in
 neighborhoods.

     I think a  point to ponder is the effect
just one rollover could have on the owner of an autocross
site. There may not be a large number of flips or off-course
excursions resulting in damage or injury. Just one at the
wrong time and place could have a very negative influence
on the future of the sport.  A publicity black eye for a sport
that invites anyone and everyone to come and participate in
friendly little parking-lot driving contests.
     BTW, in our area there have been quite a few
rollovers, flips and offs resulting in vehicle damage over
a period of 20-plus yrs. that I have been around the sport.
Fortunately no serious injuries so far.