Re: SD Tour..GS Type R's

To: Mtnman3620@aol.com
Subject: Re: SD Tour..GS Type R's
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:47:55 -0800

Mtnman3620@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/22/99 8:23:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tasmith@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> << The Saturday course clearly favored the Type R with many straights
>  including a tight first gear turn followed by a long uphill straight. >>
>
> Just a quick question from an interested observer in the east--Why is it that
> this type course (fast) is so favored by the type-Rs?  Wouldn't the torque of
> the audi or eclipse beat the living daylights out of the Type R up off the
> tight corner?  I don't know--just seemed a little contradictory to me.

The torque would help in the one corner, then it gets beat by upper end
hp on the long straights. If the course had lots of corners, then torque
becomes more important. The San Diego course had some good corners, but
it also clearly had some long straights where horsepower and high rpms
could be used.

Randy Chase (no hp, gutless above 5k rpms)
'91 MR2 CS (needed a turbo Saturday)