Re: The Cost of A-X (long)

To: baum0090@kettering.edu, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Cost of A-X (long)
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:31:17 -0500
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:56:03 -0500 (EST) Steven Louis Baumbach
<baum0090@kettering.edu> writes:
>Come on, Rallying is not that rough on a car.  I have been rallying
>and
>autocrossing my Prizm in Detroit/Saginaw Valley Region/school events
>for
>the past three years, and I have never had a rally related problem.
>Heck,
>even the shocks are still good.  Please don't put down the rally idea
>as
>being harsh on a car.  The only problem I have had is replacing the
>tranny, as the poor gear ratios in the Prizm required several shifts
>(or
>so I thought at the time) during an autocross run.

        Maybe I sounded too extreme in my post.  I didn't mean to suggest that
the car was going to fall apart on the first rally (although, I did have
concerns about THAT particular car I was in :-)  ).  I was trying to
point out that car wear WILL be accelerated and that Road Rally cannot be
written off easily as being a lot cheaper than autocross.  The car wear
will be greater in Road Rally vs. autocross (8 hours of "abuse" vs. 5
minutes) at each event.  IMHO, autocross takes more money up front, but
Rally costs more in consumables.

Brian
'91 MR2 4em
http://www3.sscorp.com/~briank