Re: The Cost of A-X (long)

To: jhadler@rmi.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Cost of A-X (long)
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:54:29 -0500
>       I think you're talking about Pro Rally. Road rally (not Pro)
>is simply
>a TSD event. Travel a certain distance in a prescribed amount of
>time,
>and the routes are on public roads and are intended to excercise
>navigation rather than fast drving techniques. Pro Rally however, is
>high speed event on closed roads. BIG difference. SCCA calls it Pro
>rally, FIA calls it the world rallye championship, but suffice it to
>say, there are two very different forms of rally competition.

        No, I'm talking a regular TSD road rally (to get more specific, a tour
rally).  The speed limit may be 55mph (CAST varying from 35-50mph) on
most of the roads, but I don't know that we ever made it over 35mph in
this event.  There were at least two stages (that stick in my mind
anyway) where I could not even make it to my outpoint in time to leave
when I was supposed too!  After talking to the other drivers, my
experience is pretty typical.  I can't claim to know about other
regions/areas of the country, but that's how it is up here.  It would
probably be quite different if we lived somewhere that winter did not
take such a heavy toll on our roads.  I'm very familiar with the WRC and
ProRally (and wish very much I could afford to run the Michelin ProRally
series)...  However, I can see that my car may get more abuse than I can
afford just on Road Rally.
        Anyone else out there run the Det region Moonlight Monte last week?
Thoughts?

Brian