Re: The Cost of A-X (long)

To: rjohnson@friendlynet.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Cost of A-X (long)
From: MachXV@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:41:54 EST
Ok, while I will agree that this sport is not the cheapest in the world, it is
still VERY possible to have alot of fun AND still be very competitive.

I should know.  Auto X on a minimum wage job?  It depends on how dedicated you
are.  I currently have more tires in my apartment than I do furniture. I
generally spend appx $50-$80 for a set of half tread R compounds, which I can
get at least  four or five good autoX's out of.

As for car mods/maitenence?  That's why there is a stock class.  I started in
stock, and when I saved enough for mods, I moved up.

Don't give me this maitenence crap...  anyone and everyone who owns a car will
have to do that...  I don't see how you can include that in the cost for
racing.  If you maintain your car properly, you really shouldn't notice any
additional wear (excepting brakes and tires of course).  Also, with a little
practice and some help, even the most complex car repairs can be done by
borrowing the right tools.

Lodging and food is expensive? Ok, I'll give you that, but two nights in a
motel six split with a roomie is really not too bad... hard to beat 15-20$ per
night.

Yeah, if you get all the neat trailers and have your own portable trackside
garage, things will get expensive, especially in anything above SP, but that's
part of the deal.

Race what ya' brung, have fun, and race it HARD, but don't come complaining to
me if it's too expensive.  Tight budget? Tough luck, but you CAN still race,
and you CAN still do it competitively.

My two cents (damn, now I'm broke.)
Daniel -
broke college student
CSP 89 Prelude

In a message dated 3/19/99 12:43:09 AM Central Standard Time,