Re: The Cost of A-X (long)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Cost of A-X (long)
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:10:57 -0800
Roger's post, as it applies to autcross-only cars, makes perfect sense to
me, IMHO, so I'm not comenting on that philosophy here  :)

My comment is from the other philosophy -- running a street car locally --
so here's that perspective using his as a basis, if I may.  It shows why I'm
happy to use the street car/street tire approach, though I do have better
than a minimum wage job and don't like polo (also not for people with
minimum wage jobs).  :)

>Expenses related to the tow vehicle                            31.7% of
>the total

Local street car:  $0.00

>Expenses related to the trailer                                    22.1%

Local street car:  $0.00

>Dues & entries
>    7.8%

Even my humble efforts have a sponsor, so:  $0.00

>Meals (average $20.02/day) 8.0%

OK.

>Lodging  (Stay in the trailer)

I only go to local events up to 2 hours away with a street car, so:  $0.00

>  Breaking out the vehicle expenses:
>Depreciation                     8.4%    of the total

Used vehicle, fully depreciated in the first year.  Nevertheless, it's a
street car used personally and for business, so it wouldn't be reasonable
for me to allocate any significant depreciation to autocross, so in my case:
$0.00

>Parts/Maintenance            8.1%

OK.  It's WELL used, so plenty gets spent on parts and repairs.

>Tires                                  6.4%

Let's see, two sets (annually) of used (50-75% tread) ZR tires (Dunlop,
Pirelli, Goodyear, or Fulda) @ $160 per set all inclusive of tax and
mounting.  Let's say I'd go through only one set if it weren't for
autocrossing, so:  $160.00

Add to that dedicated wheels for autocrossing -- don't use 'em, so:  $0.00.

>Insurance                          3.8%
>Fuel                                   1.9%
>Tags                                    .2%

Street car allocated to personal expense, and way less than 1/4 tank of fuel
per event, so for autocrossing:  $0.00

Roger's point is well taken, and this is just a different perspective for
discussion's sake.

Flame shields UP!

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com