Re: course memorizing

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: course memorizing
From: Popsracr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:27:45 EST
In a message dated 3/6/99 7:31:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, washburn@dwave.net
writes:

> When you are walking the course,
>  pick out only the cones that matter to your line.  Forget everything
>  else, they don't exist.  A right/left/right combination for instance
>  basically be boiled down to three apex cones, or actually a slalom.  I
>  try to make slaloms out of everything.  None of the other gimmick cones
>  matter, and should be disregarded.  For the most part, it's entrance
>  cone, apex cone and exit cone for each corner.  This technique has
>  served me well, and I feel that it has helped others get past the "sea
>  of cones" phenomonem.  Most courses can be condensed into 20 or 30 key
>  cones.  Of course, there is still a certain amount of basic memorization
>  that comes into play, but you get the idea. Again, it's a technique I
>  like to use, and may not work for everyone.

All this talk about just the few cones that matters reminds me of a neat
course back a few years ago at the Milwaukee County Stadium.  Some of you may
remember a series of gates offset just wide enough for a smalll car to fit
through as a straight.  If the car was about 6 feet wide you had a small
wiggle between them like a slalom.  It slowed down all the Camaros and wider
cars and gave the Civics and NX2000's (mine one of them) an easy acceleration
run to a right hand sweeper.   This is one situation that made the course
significantly different to drive depending on what you drove.

Kinda gimmicky but effective.

Jim