Re: course memorizing

To: RacerRay52@aol.com
Subject: Re: course memorizing
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:12:17 -0600
RacerRay52@aol.com wrote:

> I don't have the latest rule book. but the 1997 book says:
>      A Solo II event, other than a gimmick event in which time is not the
> only consideration, shall be a test of driving skill, not memory.
>
>      ...NOT MEMORY!
>
>      Has that been changed? I hope not. I like to go around the course
> trying to figure out the quickest way to do it, not just puzzling
> over WHERE to go.

Nope, the rule book hasn't changed.  People often jump to the conclusion
when they hear me talking about memorizing that it means that part of
the contest is remembering a complex set of directions.  To demonstrate
what I mean by this, an example would be those sometimes goofy events
held at circle tracks.  They go something like this..."O.K., you go
around turns 1 and 2, then cut through the middle, then turns 3 and 4,
then double back around the tall pylon the way you came, then back
through the middle, get the white flag, then do two more laps
alternating directions each time."  I think that is the kind of nonsense
that you are talking about, and I think that the rule pertains to
curtailing that kind of thing.

I look at it differently.  When I say you need to memorize the course,
what I mean is you need to know exactly where you are going ahead of
time so you can concentrate on your driving.  Even a simple course
requires carefull memorization.  Think about real life...if you are
trying to figure out *where* you are going, you will not be going as
fast as you could be.  Do you honestly approach a corner not knowing
which way it goes?  Of course not, you memorize it.  My point is that
the better job you do of memorizing the course, the better opportunity
you have of improving your times.

This might seem overly basic to a lot of the people on team.net, but I
think it is good information for a lot of novices, and I try to emphasis
it.  The side benefit is that events are a lot safer since newer folks
have put more effort into knowing and remembering exactly where to go.
Less light pole groping that way if your a corner worker!  You can point
to that line in the rule book all day, but in the end you will improve
your times more effectively by completely memorizing the course.  My
opinion of course.
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese