Re: Which Tire? Let's Share Experiences

To: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Subject: Re: Which Tire? Let's Share Experiences
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 11:56:50 -0600
Jeff Blankenship wrote:

> In case you can't tell, I'm not crazy about running slicks on my stock car.
> I am planning to pretty much leave the race tires on the car all season,
> even on the street.  R1s suited me just fine in he rain.  Even in standing
> water I could safely manage 50 MPH on relatively new tires.

Very interesting.  My Pilots should be toast by the end of the next two autox
weekends.  I am trying to decide what I want my next tires to be.  Until I am
driving within a second or two of the top drivers, I am going to continue to
daily drive on my autox tires (or autox on my street tires).
The new G-Force KD's are appealing.

But an R-compound tire that is pleasant on the street and doesn't turn rock
hard from excessive heat cycling would be really nice.  In your experience,
what's the disadvantages associated with street driving R1's?

  * Do they pick up road debris and pelt your car?
  * Are they horribly noisy in highway driving?
  * Do they get dangerous in wet weather?
    (Not that Pilots are great in wet; but they are drivable.)
  * Does street driving greatly shorten the life of your R tires?
    (And how does that compare to the fact that AutoX'ing will greatly
     shorten the life of street tires -- my Pilots may make 7000 miles.)

General question:  if you planned to autox and street one set of tires,
what's the best R-compound tire to choose?  the best street tire to use?

Since this is not exactly breaking new ground, feel free to respond to just
me and I will summarize.

Thanks,

Brian