Re: Weenies and tech responsibilities

To: <TeamZ3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Weenies and tech responsibilities
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:20:46 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: TeamZ3@aol.com <TeamZ3@aol.com>

>Q:  How can they document teching you if the appropriate class and number
>isn't listed?

Sure it's listed -- on the tech sheet the registrar hands out.  But Tech has
no responsibility (at any event I've worked) to verify the registration
information is correct -- just that the car is safe to run.

>Seems like the appropriate place to check them to me.

Right now, there's no guarantee that the tech workers konw which cars are in
which class, what modifications place a car into Stock, SP, Prep or Mod, or
whether the correct markings are present in the correct places.  They do
have enough information to check number and class marked on the car matches
that on the registration sheet, and we could easily make that part of the
tech inspection -- but I'd put that in the supps so competitors know to have
that stuff on their cars when they show at Tech.

Right now, enforcing rules on classing and markings is left to the event
officials (rather than the workers -- and Tech is usually a work assignment,
just like shagging cones) and the competitors themselves, though the protest
procedures.

>And while we're on that subject, why not have a list of licensed SCCA
members and check that list and
>drivers licenses at the same time?

At Tech?  Or Registration -- which seems much more logical.  With more
registration activities on computer, this is getting more common.

>Curious George

You think this issue made a monkey of you?  :)

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr