Re: Any Ideas?

To: "Debbie Stohn" <dstohn@mediaone.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Any Ideas?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:26:19 -0600
From: Debbie Stohn <dstohn@mediaone.net>

>Can y'all suggest any ways to help me prep for the upcoming season?  I
>am getting my car inspected and tuned up and plan to drive it a lot to
>get used to the feel of it and any idiosyncracies it may have (it's an
>Integra, 1987 and I drive a 1994 Accord on a daily basis).  What have
>some of you done to get ready?

Wear your helmet around the house for a while.  When you first you start
autocrossing, you will be thinking about a lot of things.  You don't want
one of them to be the brand-new feeling of wearing a helmet.

On a related note, find a comfortable driving position in the car.  This
position must be one that is possible when you are wearing your helmet.

Essentially, you want to prevent as many surprises as you can.

If your region or local club or local council offers permanent numbers,
register for one now.  Then make up magnetic numbers and class designations
for your car.  If you expect ever to share rides with a friend in either of
your cars, register for two permanent numbers.  I own three numbers in my
local council (7, 17, 117) and there have been events when I've had folks
using all three of them.  I make my own numbers using black 3M
repositionable vinyl on white magnetic sheet.  Ultimate contrast and they
work on any color car.  We'll talk about plastic cars another time...

The two biggest hassles new folks have are numbers and helmets.  If you are
completely ready with both, you can free your mind and time at the first
event to concentrate on learning the course and driving.  Not only that,
being ready with your own helmet and numbers will help other people to take
you seriously.  Good numbers particularly show respect for the workers, and
don't think they won't notice.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/