Re: Engine Swaps in Countries Other than the USA

To: "Berghult, Bob" <bob.berghult@lmco.com>,
Subject: Re: Engine Swaps in Countries Other than the USA
From: <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:13:55 -0700
With todays emission laws, a given state may require one or more of the
following be met.

1. If upgrading an older car with a newer engine, meet the emisison criteria
for the year of the newer engine.
example: putting a 302 V8 in an Alpine.... meet the emission criteria for
the year of manufacture of the 302
2. Installing an 'older' engine in a newer car, meet the emission criteria
for the year of the car.
example: putting a Porsche 914 engine in a kit car being built and
registered may require the engine meet current emission criteria.
3. Replacing the engine in a newer car, meet the emission criteria for the
year of the car and the engine must be the same as original.
example: installing a replacement engine in your '81 Chevy pickup that
originally came with the 350 diesel engine. some states may require
replacement with another diesel, and some states may allow conversion to a
gasoline engine but not, say, a 454 if the 454 was not available in '81.

For the correct answer in your application contact the people responsible
for emissions certification and testing with your states Department of Motor
Vehicles. When they inform you of what is required, have them state specific
laws or regulations. As an example of this, several years ago I was
contemplating building a Beck 550 Spyder. The Reno, NV, DMV office said the
car would have to comply with current (1997) smog criteria.... an impossible
task for a VW based engine. Six months later they changed their policy and
went with year of manufacture of the engine.

Lastly, if your changing the engine in a "pre-smog" car (for Nevada,
manufactured before 1968) it may not require any smog equipment.

Good luck!!
    Carl
    Deputy Sheriff, Washoe Co. Sheriff's Office, Reno, NV
    '60 series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
    '69 Lotus 61 formula Ford