Re: Engine Swaps in Countries Other than the USA

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Swaps in Countries Other than the USA
From: "Russell & Neola" <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:37:16 +1000
Hi Paul,

There's a light blue Alpine in the Sydney area with a Ford V6 in it (and
very neatly done too) if this is the one you're thinking of.

I believe the situation in Queensland is that you can increase the engine
capacity by a certain percentage without getting an engineer's report (this
may have changed in recent years - I'm not really into the engine swap
thing). Putting a V6 or a V8 in an Alpine however would definitely require a
report.

There are a few Algers getting around here - one lives not far from me - but
for every Alger on the road there seems to be another that can't be legally
driven on the road. Barry Walker on the Sunshine Coast has a Mazda
rotary-powered Alpine which he had no trouble getting registered. I think
country garages are probably a bit more inclined to turn a blind eye than
city garages though.

Clyde Northcott, who's on the list, has a Ford V6 Alpine.

In Queensland, engine swaps are no impediment to getting concessional
historic registration as the scheme applies to classic cars and hot rods
equally - or so I believe.

When/if the day comes that I can't get parts to keep my Sunbeams on the road
I'll look at engine swaps, but in the meantime I'll keep them all Sunbeam.

Russ