Re: rpms vs. mph

To: robert nanzig <rnanzig@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: rpms vs. mph
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:01:22 -0700
Hi guys:

For what it's worth, I was rooting through an old Road and Track
technical correspondence page and found the following:

MPH= RPM x C/ G x F x 88.

F= final drive ratio
G= gear ratio
C= driven tire's circumference, in Feet.

The guys who rebuilt my tach used the tach to calibrate the speedo and
THEY say that with the torque converter in lockup mode at 65 mph I'm
turning about 3400 r.p.m.

Using the formula above and given that I'm SUPPOSED to have a 4th gear
overdrive (without lockup) of 0.75, I OUGHT to be turning 3100 r.p.m. at
65 (I guess a 300 r.p.m discrepancy isn't too bad--it's an LBC after
all). Which either means that my tach isn't accurate (likely), my speedo
isn't accurate (probably) or the published data on my automatic
transmission is wrong (not likely).  I think I need to start by
re-ckecking my tach.

Anyway, hope the formula helps.

Regards

David Sosna
65 S4 GT V6

P.S. Rob, using the above formula: at 60 mph, I get 3523 R.P.M. for your
car. Looks close enough for me to what you came up with.

P.P.S. Your 70" circumference corresponds to my 155-80-13 tires.  If I
upsize to a 175-80-13 I get a circumference of 6.23 feet and at 60 mph
with a 1:1 top gear and 3.89 axle the formula gives me 3296 r.p.m.  Call
it 3300.  So the engine turns about 200 r.p.m. slower with the larger
diameter tires.  And the car accelerates slower.  Guess everything is a
tradeoff.  Good luck!