Re:Instrument Bulbs

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Instrument Bulbs
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:01:44 -1000
   I agree with Ray.  As far as I have found, the later TR6s (73+ ?) used a
sort of circuit board rheostat where earlier ones used a stout wound-wire
set into a ceramic backing.  These early types must be better at heat
dissipation because both my later cars had inop rheostats.  The printed
circuit lines were melted and may be a source of the dreaded under-dash
fire.
  Anyway, I replaced my fried printed-circuit type with an old TR4 one and
it works great...which means I leave it set at the zero resistance position
and the dash lights are just barely adequate.  I haven't thought too much
about it, but the later-type dimmer switch may somehow  work differently
than the earlier type.
   Maybe there's a 4-watt bulb out there?

Jeff
CF13816U