RE: TR6 differential flanges

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 differential flanges
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 13:50:32 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I need to toss out a minor correction... most anti-sieze compounds are
based on nickle, not lead. Also, at the high end of the scale are
copper-based compounds aka "coppa-slip". But the principle is the same -
the material acts to keep the surfaces from bonding together.

I'm not sure I agree with the principles of using anti-sieze for this
application in that having the parts "married" together is actually
desirable (one piece or two well-fit pieces can actually be stronger than
the sum of the parts.) Then again, I'm niether a metalurgist or a true
expert in the field.

I will say that it is written that by using lapping compound on the mating
surfaces, you can promote a more uniform fitment of the parts - e.g. lap
them together and then disassemble and thoroughly clean the parts and then
reassemble to factory specs.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx