RE: Losing Oil

To: "James Jerrel" <jjerrel@email.dnet.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Losing Oil
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:31:00 -0600
>===== Original Message From "James Jerrel" <jjerrel@email.dnet.net> =====
>Hi there.  I need some help.  My trusty 1970 TR6 has aproblem. Yesterday when
I was taking a drive, it started to smoke badly. When I stopped and looked
underneath, I could see oil all over the undercarriage.  It was leaking out
and then getting on the hot exhaust.  When I got back home, I found it had
lost over 1/2 of its oil.  It appears to be coming out in back of the engine
in the area where the transmission housing connects to the rear of the engine.
 Is this the rear oil seal? Hopefully not, since this appears to be a major
repair and I do not know of anyone here in my hometown (Murphy, NC) who can
work on my car.  Any help in trying to pin down the problem would be most
appreciated. Thanks.

James, Another possibility would be the rear oil gallery plug. The oil
pressure is higher here than at the rear main seal on the crank. Either way
you will have to pull the transmission and flywheel. Remember to add extra
support under the engine when pulling the transmission. Once you get those
items out of the way you should be able to see where the leak is coming from,
whether it is from the rear main seal or the rear gallery plug. You should be
able to access the rear gallery plug with the rear engine plate still
attached. It is a large allen headed plug above and to the left (facing front)
of the crankshaft. If this plug is loose then you will need to remove it,
clean the threads in the block and on the plug removing any trace of the oil
and then apply some loctite and then re-install the plug and get it plenty
tight.  A rear main seal leak will not usually get oil onto your exhaust in
such a rapid fashion or make you lose oil so quickly unless it is a
catastophic failure.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO