Re: Value Added Options & Upgrades (Part 2)

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>,
Subject: Re: Value Added Options & Upgrades (Part 2)
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:25:33 -0400
I agree too that exterior appearance can contribute more to the value of a car
than hidden mechanical stuff.  BUT, what is really a major factor in TR values,
and any collector vehicle for that matter, is body and chassis condition.
Rebuild a suspension?  No problem.  Engine?  Yea, it can be done.  Repaint an
otherwise straight rust free body?  Sure.  But get an estimate to fix major
steel problems such as rusted floors, rockers, fenders and frames and the big
dollars appear.

There are the uninitiated who do not recognize that little bit of bubbled paint
could be a serious rust issue, or know that chassis rails rust from the inside
out and so takes more than a visual inspection.  But more and more TR6 buyers
do recognize those typical problems and will not even consider a car with any
of these warning signs no matter how nice looking.

So, I would rather have a severely sun faded TR6 with a tatty interior, grimey
engine and loose suspension but with a totally solid straight body and chassis
than a freshly painted TR6 with restored interior and engine but having rusty
floors, battery tray, trunk and chassis.

Some may disagree, particularly if you're handy with bodywork, but I believe
most of us, myself included, would rather rebuild suspensions and interiors
than repair rust eaten sheet metal and frames.

My $.02.

Greg Dito
CD6250L