Value Added Options & Upgrades (Part 2)

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Value Added Options & Upgrades (Part 2)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:15:01 -0400
(Con't from Part 1)

Chrome and light lenses are another good item to restore/replace if you're
selling your car and you want to increase the value and get the extra money
back.  This upgrade only works if the car already has decent paint.  But
even at $600 for the two bumpers and $150 in new lenses you will recover
that amount... although I will stipulate that it all depends on how the
buyer perceives the rest of your car as well.  New chrome and lenses is not
going to do anything if the paint is bad.  But add new chrome and lenses to
a nice paint job and the exterior really comes alive.  If you do not want to
replace all the lenses, at least replace the reverse lenses, they always
discolor even after a few years.

New convertible tops... $160 from AABestCo and some of your labor adds a
fair amount to the vehicle's appearance and value as well.

> Nobody pays more, for a rebuilt suspension, chassis, body  or
> even a rebuilt engine, those costs are expected within a
> restoration.

You're right Gene, but only because those parts are rarely ever pretty
enough to look at themselves.  They are largely hidden, no casual observer
can confirm or deny that the car has a rebuilt suspension or engine, so from
an appearance sake it does not matter.  And like it or not, cars are always
bought on appearance... because no one ever takes apart a motor to verify it
was rebuilt prior to buying it.  The engine appears rebuilt, the suspension
appears rebuilt, but nice paint/exterior and a new interior are right there
in your face and contribute enormously to a car's selling value.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics