RE: Radios & Sparkplugs

To: Rick & Lori <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Subject: RE: Radios & Sparkplugs
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Rick & Lori wrote:

> I use Champion RN9YC with my 9.5:1 CR motor.  Haven't tried NGK BPR6ES yet,
> but hear they are good also.  (Note: RN12YC is a hotter plug which should be
> used with a "normal" CR motor).  I don't have the hotter NGK P/N though.

Poking around, it looks like with NGK higher numbers translate to cooler
plugs, so if you are using BPR6ES then going to BPR7ES would get you a
cooler plug. Similarly, going to the BPR5ES gets you a cooler plug.

A lot of the racers use NGK.

Just to add a data point, I use Denso plugs marketed under the Accel
brand. They have a wide variety of temps available. But I use the
non-resistor type just to piss off any computers near my cars. :-)

I use the Accel 116's in the 12:1 motor. But they also work okay in the
9.5:1 motor. The difference is that the 12:1 motor runs 110 leaded fuel
and the 9.5:1 motor runs 93 octane pump gas.

I get no fouling whatsoever on either motor.

> Rick O.
> 72 TR6

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |