Re: Non Stainless Steel Brake Caliper Pistons

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <LaJoMor@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Non Stainless Steel Brake Caliper Pistons
From: "Bob Fabie" <RFabie@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:26:19 -0400
Don:
If you are using  DOT5 (silicone) there is far less need, if any, to use
stainless pistons. As I have learned from others on the list, brake fluid,
even the low moisture type sold by Castrol, absorbs moisture which
eventually corrodes the back and sides of the caliper pistons.

I have also recently rebuilt my entire front end, including new brakes, but
I used non stainless steel pistons because I run silicone for all my
hydraulics.

Hope this helps.

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6