Re: Lubricants

To: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>, "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lubricants
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:33:24 -0700
steve,
    i use Redline oil in my J-type overdrive because when i was getting
ready to install it i asked the list and searched archived messages and then
tallied the responses. Redline had the edge over others but that may only
mean that more Redline users responded than others. not very scientific but
it's all i had to work with and i do know Redline is a quality product, used
in alot of racing applications.
    i should also tell you that my rebuilt tranny has leaked from day one
and i sometimes wonder if it's the "slickness" of the oil that contributes
to that. sorta like the debate about using synthetic oil in an older engine
which could promote more leakage. being that the oil has a red tint to it
(like auto tranny oil), it helps me identify which oil spot on my garage
floor came from where.
    another consideration in using Redline is that it's not available at
your local gas station. in fact, it's usually only sold in hi-perf stores.
that could be an issue if you're on the road somewhere and have to "top
off".
    if i had to do it all over again, or when it all finally drips out, i
may go back to a traditional motor oil made for tranny's. i've had many
fellas tell me they run the same oil in their tranny's as they do in their
motors. whatever works i guess.
    as far as the recommendations for the diff, i used 90wt oil i believe.
for the rubber bushings, silicone should help along with a "C" clamp to
squeeze 'em in if my memory serves me right.....although i think the poly
ones i installed came in halves which wasn't hard at all.
    hope this helps...
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6
Denver, Co