RE: Lubricants

To: "'6 Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lubricants
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:28:04 -0500
I've used Redline MTL for years in my J-type o/d transmission, and since
replacing the "O" ring seals on the top cover, I have no leaks.
I'm certainly no lubrication expert, but I've read on this list and
other places that transmissions and differentials need the additives in
lubricants designed for them to hold up against the "shear forces"(?)
generated by gears meshing. Some one who knows what they're talking
about, please step in here...
Anyway, I don't believe I'd use motor oil in my transmission or
differential, anymore than I'd use gear oil in my engine.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

steve,
    i use Redline oil in my J-type overdrive because when i was getting
ready to install it i asked the list and searched archived messages and
then tallied the responses. Redline had the edge over others but that
may only mean that more Redline users responded than others. not very
scientific but it's all i had to work with and i do know Redline is a
quality product, used in alot of racing applications.
    i should also tell you that my rebuilt tranny has leaked from day
one and i sometimes wonder if it's the "slickness" of the oil that
contributes to that. sorta like the debate about using synthetic oil in
an older engine which could promote more leakage. being that the oil has
a red tint to it (like auto tranny oil), it helps me identify which oil
spot on my garage floor came from where.
    another consideration in using Redline is that it's not available at
your local gas station. in fact, it's usually only sold in hi-perf
stores. that could be an issue if you're on the road somewhere and have
to "top off".
    if i had to do it all over again, or when it all finally drips out,
i may go back to a traditional motor oil made for tranny's. i've had
many fellas tell me they run the same oil in their tranny's as they do
in their motors. whatever works i guess.
    as far as the recommendations for the diff, i used 90wt oil i
believe. for the rubber bushings, silicone should help along with a "C"
clamp to squeeze 'em in if my memory serves me right.....although i
think the poly ones i installed came in halves which wasn't hard at all.
    hope this helps...
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6
Denver, Co