RE: Lubricants

To: "'Gregory Dito'" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lubricants
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:18:02 -0500
My very limited understanding is that motor oil doesn't contain the
additives that buffer the shear forces that occur in manual
transmissions and differentials.
Some one who knows more about this please chime in...
Thanks,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

Jim,

I'm no chemist, but as I understand it shear force is the "cutting" or
"crushing" force of meshing gears, bearings etc. that over time begin to
cut the long molecular string that protects the metal surfaces.  It is
the strength of the molecular string to withstand shear force that keeps
it between the metal surfaces.  As the molecular string weakens and
begins to break up you lose the protection that the lubricant (the long
string of
molecules) provides.

Greg
Chapel Hill, NC