Re: Valve seals

To: Jim Davis <jamdav@woodward.com>
Subject: Re: Valve seals
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:33:35 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Jim Davis wrote:

> Listers,

Hi.

> My 74 TR6 has started to blow smoke do to oil running down the valve stems,

I have to ask - Are you sure?

When does the car blow smoke? How much oil are you consuming?

The reason I ask is that oil smoke from the tail pipe can indicate
several different syndromes (like bad rings).

The prudent thing to do is a leak-down test to make sure that the valve
guides are the cause and not the rings, for example.

> I recently saw an article in the Rimmer Bros catalog that talks about valve
> stem seals (little rubber o-rings) that are installed without taking the
> head off. Has anyone ever tried these?  If it works I am tempted to do that
> until my bank account recovers enough to do the job the right way.

I know nothing of these devices, but I do know that to install them you'll
need to pressurize the cylinder or something to hold the valves in place
while you take the "keepers" off to slip the seal over the valve stem.

My general feeling is that you should save your money now and do the job
right when you can afford it.

> Jim Davis
> 1974 TR6 CF19738U
> Fort Collins, Colorado

regards,
rml

p.s. on my cars, when the valve guides are worn, the oil cakes onto the
valves pretty heavily, but no oil smoke from the tail pipe (maybe a "puff"
on initial startup after the car has been sitting for a while). On the
other hand, when the rings are gone - lots of smoke esp. on hard
decelleration.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |