Re: Fwd: Re: Which overdrive A or J?

To: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Which overdrive A or J?
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:51:50 -0800 (PST)
Typo in this email, sorry!  The RELAY was only used on A types, as Todd
stated.  A SOLENOID is used on both units, but the J-type solenoid is
(I believe) hidden inside the overdrive unit, whereas the A type
solenoid is mounted on the side of the overdrive unit.

The relay was used on the A type because the solenoid pulls a lot of
amps during initial overdrive engagement, whereas the J type solenoid
pulls less amps, so there is no relay needed.

Both A and J type cannot be engaged when the gearbox is in reverse, or
something will break.

Sorry for the confusion!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6