Re: Which overdrive A or J?

To: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Which overdrive A or J?
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:48:40 -0700
> I've had an A type in my TR6 since 1983 and no one has ever asked me why
> there is an A type in my J type era car. The ones without overdrive wish
> they could sneak it out of my car. It was a simple bolt in replacement for
> the stock tranny, only requiring the addition of a relay for the o/d. If
> you aren't showing the car, it doesn't matter. They both work great.

    of course you're right irv...from an appearance or functionality
standpoint, both will get you down the road with lower rpm's. my advice to
him was a result of the situation he originally presented, basically that he
had the option of going either way. with that situation, i believe it makes
more sense to go with the proper tranny
made for that year car.
    i was not slamming the idea of an a-type tranny in a later era car. i've
seen (and done) some neat stuff that ain't factory correct but that doesn't
mean it doesn't work, or work better. geez, if us tr owners didn't know how
to make work with what we have, how many of our cars would be on the road?
    long live ALL o/d trannys......
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6
Denver, Co